Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I wish it were a Chelsea morning

I was told last night that I don't update my blog enough and that because of this "some people" don't have anything to read (which is completely ficticious because I know you have my copy of 1984 since I haven't been able to read it) so I'm posting in the early morning. Knock yourself out.

It feels like it is wayyyyy too early to be up even though it's not really that early. I woke up at 6 to finish my stupid paper because it's due today. But now I'm done and just sitting here. I could go back to sleep, but the 15 minutes or so I'd get isn't worth it. Not when I'm already awake and thinking. I had to write a paper on the trial and death of Socrates. Here was my prompt:

How does Socrates describe the individual's role within and against the polis? Does he contradict himself by allowing his own execution to happen or does he offer a valid argument for accepting his fate? How does the fact that he lives in a democracy affect his decision? What would Democritus and the Sophists have thought of Socrates' actions? Your answer should include a thorough discussion of the arguments in the text both for and against accepting his fate, and how they relate to Plato's theory of forms, his views of justice and what constitutes truth, and the individual's relationship to the polis.

This being said, I would have voted to kill Socrates if I had been there. He is probably one of the singlemost annoying people that ever existed. I think just about anyone who has to read the Republic agrees.

Anyway, as I was working on this last night, I got a bit side-tracked. I started talking about how these philosophers were so "ahead of their time." I cringe a bit using that phrase, but there really isn't a good substitute. We then came to the conclusion that religion was one of the primary reasons the world, metaphorically, took a step back. This led to a discussion on religion and spirituality and where we both fall in this category. It's probably not what you would think either, but since I can't tell what you're thinking maybe not. We seriously sat for about 2 hours though and did nothing but talk about this. I didn't even watch 24 last night! (No spoilers or I will hunt you down and hurt you) It's time for me to start getting ready for school. I can't wait for it to warm up again. Running to the shower when I've just woken up never ends well.

Have a magical day!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Our discussion was invigorating! Let's have them more often. =)